I have been keeping track of my net worth with some breaks for approximately 10 or so years and sharing my gains and losses on my old site. With the sale of that site and the starting of this site, I am going to continue that tradition. Since I am not a particularly private person and my sites usually become known to family and friends I am not willing to share hard numbers. In the past, I shared gains in losses in terms of percentage, and I would do this month over month and year over year. While I am going to continue that tradition, I am also going to zero out my net worth when calculating. As such today is the day of $0, and any subsequent updates will be a total monetary growth, and losses, from sAA (since accumulating assets).
I understand that this takes a bit off the financial voyerisum, and that makes these updates largely for me (and if I had to give a real guess, I am going to be the only one looking back at them anyway).
Calculating my Net Worth
My Family’s Assets
I will be writing an introductory post about most of the assets below, and update them whenever it seems appropriate.
- Cash Equivalents – This is basically my emergency fund. It isn’t as high as I would like it, but I am slowly saving monthly to get it to where I want it.
- My Trading Account – This one account is both where I invest in my dividend growth companies and risky speculative option trades.
- My 401(k)
- My Traditional IRA – Just some companies that have caught my attention at some point or another.
- The Wife’s Roth IRA – Again, some companies that have caught my attention at some point or another.
- Crypto Currency – A handful of years ago during the height of the crypto mania I decided to put a few dollars into BitCoin. It felt like immediately after I made the transfer BTC took a nosedive. At that point, I made the decision just to ignore the account.
- Life Insurance Cash Surrender Value – As described I recently I own a number of permanent, cash value whole life insurance policies. Since the cash is accessible I include it in my net worth statement.
- Physical Gold – A few years back I decided to start buying physical gold.
- My Rental Property – I have a post half written about the ins and outs of this asset.
- My Main Residence – Our home!
Currently, I do not include my investment clubs.
My Family’s Debt
- Law School Debt – Overall this account is just not that large anymore, but at 3.5% fixed I just ignore it.
- Mortgage and Home Debt – I have a mortgage on each home and a home equity line of credit on the rental property. I am hoping I can refinance my primary residence to take advantage of the recent lower rates.
- Revolving Credit Card Debt – The Wife and I pay off our credit cards every month for the most part. Granted we get behind from time to time, but that is the goal, month in and month out.
My Net Worth Change
No gain, No loss we are at my “new” beginning of $0-sAA.